Login | Register
About Us
Neighborhood News
Homeowners Insurance
Calendar of HOA Events
Contact Us
Board Members
Paying HOA Dues
Homeowner/Tenant Information Form
Common HOA Violations
Parking Rules
Townhouse Roofs
Community Park
Community Pool
Community Contracts
Community Pest Control
Homeowner Directory
Homeowners Insurance
What type of insurance do I need?
Believe it or not, we get that question from homeowners a lot! The short answer is an HO3 regardless if you are purchasing a single family home or townhome in our community.
The largest difference between the two types of policies are that an HO3 policy is specifically for a house that is owner occupied and an HO6 policy was created for a condo unit owner. The HO3 policy is a mixture of named perils and open perils coverage. The HO6 policies tend to be fully named peril policies. Named perils are items that are specifically listed in the policy and open perils cover things not specifically excluded in the policy. 
HO6 policies are also known as condo insurance. This type of policy traditionally will only cover your personal property, personal liability, your walls, floors, and your ceilings. Many people also refer to it as “walls-in” insurance since it essentially covers everything within the interior of the unit. An HO6 policy will not cover any of the building items outside of your condo unit. This is why it is important to review our governing documents to understand what you are responsible for insuring vs. what the association will cover. 
An HO3 policy is one of the most comprehensive homeowners insurance policies. These policies provide coverage for single family homes, townhouses and duplexes that are owner occupied. The HO3 insures the house you own and occupy, structures in connection with that property, personal property on and away from the premises, and loss of use.
Although the Waterstone Homeowners association does maintain Townhome roofs, the extent of the repairs only cover repairs and replacement due to maintenance. Coverage for catastrophes as well as  satellite dishes (up to and including faulty installation) are not covered by the association. Equally, Townhome owners are responsible for gutters, siding and shutters; hence the need for an HO3 policy.
In addition to standard policies, talk with your local insurance agent to see if flood insurance is the right fit for you. Natural disasters aren’t the only cause of a flood though—flooding can come from just about anywhere. There is a common misconception that low-risk flood zones are "no risk" flood zones. Understanding your options, and planning ahead, you will be armed with information to make the best choices for both your home and your family. If you have any questions on the type of coverage you need we strongly encourage you to speak with a licensed insurance specialist.